Examination Board: Edexcel
For anyone who sees their future career in Science the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science is an excellent starting point. It covers a wide range of topics across biology, chemistry and physics and will allow you to acquire a high level of practical laboratory skills from which the theory is then drawn.
Students will develop and gain experience in the following:
- Independent enquirers
- Creative thinkers
- Reflective learners
- Effective participators
Grade 5 in GCSE Science
What will I study?
During Year 12 you will complete units of work that are coursework based. There units include work in all the disciplines of science:
- Unit 1: Principles of Applied Science 1 – exam based
- Unit 2:Practical scientific procedures and techniques – coursework based
- Unit 3: Scientific investigation skills – exam based
- Unit 9: Human regulation and reproduction – coursework based
During Year 13 you will complete units of work that are coursework based. There units include work in all the disciplines of science:
- Unit 4:Laboratory techniques and their application – coursework based
- Unit 5: Principles and Applications of Science 2 – exam based
- Unit 6: Investigative report – coursework based
- Unit 8: Physiology of body systems – coursework based
Where does it lead?
There are many areas potential students could progress in to. Some pupils choose to carry on their studies in the scientific field can also do so. This can lead to studying degree programmes such as; biomedical sciences, biochemistry, food science, animal biology, marine biology or zoology.