Examination Board: WJEC/Eduqas
This is a relatively new GCSE course which is being offered to take advantage of the top class teaching and catering facilities we have in the Academy. It offers a unique opportunity for pupils to develop their knowledge, skills and capacity for imaginative thinking. If you are interested in cooking and catering industry as a profession or just enjoy being in the kitchen, this could be the course for you.
The topics covered include:
- The Catering Industry (the variety of catering outlets, safety and food poisoning).
- Nutrition and Menu Planning (selection, storage, food costing and menu construction).
- Food Production (preparing, presenting and serving food and drink).
- Health and Safety, Food Hygiene and the role of an Environmental Health Officer.
This award consists of two units:
- Event planning and practical task (coursework based) which is 60% of the GCSE
- A written paper (1½ Hours) which is 40% of the GCSE